After kitchens bathrooms are the most commonly renovated room in your house and lying back in a spa tub after a long day is a whole bunch of awesome…right!
But…if you don’t have budget or you live in an apartment where you can’t bring in a contractor to start swinging a sledgehammer and gutting the place, don’t despair. There are some quick and dirty bathroom upgrades you can do all by yourself and finish in a weekend or even an afternoon. Your bathroom will look just like new and most of these tips cost less than $100 and no contractor required.
Quick and Dirty Bathroom Upgrades
- Get new accessories. Head over to Bed, Bath & Beyond and score yourself a new toothbrush holder. Okay well a little more than a toothbrush holder, if you have a vanity full of stuff the upgrade to some new accessories, a nice unique dish for soap, you can use a mason jar to hold toothbrushes. Just spruce up what goes on the vanity.
- Clean off the countertop.While you’re sprucing up the vanity with some new accessories start clearing off the clutter. Nice bottles and accessories look good aspirin bottles do not. Put away the shaving cream the razors and anything else that can go into the medicine cabinet or a drawer.
- Now get some art. Add some sculpture or some piece of art to the vanity find some that can handle the moisture of the bathroom.
- Add a table lamp.Soften the light in the bathroom with a small table lamp, perfect when you want to relax in the bath and don’t want glaring overhead lights disturbing your relaxation.
- Swipe some furniture from the rest of the house. No you don’t need to move your couch into the bathroom but consider stealing a side table, chair or stool from elsewhere in the house. It can hold a plant, some books or…you know a glass of wine.
- Switch out your mirror.Your mirror is one of the focal points of the room simply changing the mirror and you can change the whole look of the room.
- Change any artwork you have in the bathroom.Do something as simple as changing the prints on the wall. Take some pics from a magazine or print one of the thousands you probably have on your computer and put them in an inexpensive frame.
- Get an orchid. Grocery stores have orchids that are fairly inexpensive and will last for months, if an orchid is not your thing then get bamboo.
- Switch out your shower curtain.Get rid of the icky shower liner and get a bright colored shower curtain to liven the room up.
- While you’re throwing out the funky shower curtain get rid of the bathmat too.Try something different, instead of a rug get a bathmat made from stone or mold resistant wood. If you’re a traditionalist then grab a rug, it is a cheap way to change to look.
- Add a fresh coat of paint.Paint is your friend, a new color on the walls can make your bathroom look bigger and brighter. Most cabinets can be repainted as well so don’t forget them too.
- Put up a wall decal. If you are unable to paint because it’s rental property you can grab some brilliant wall decals for next to nothing. They leave no marks when it is time to take them down either.
- Use a vintage ladder to serve as a towel rack.
- Get a new bathrobe.Does your ugly old terry cloth robe look like something your granny would wear? Then treat yourself to a new one, find a nice kimono or something stylish and luxurious.
- Switch out your fixtures and hardware. Your local hardware store has some beautiful pieces that can totally change the look and feel of your bathroom, or look online. You’ll have no problem grabbing something gorgeous and inexpensive.